If you in Tallahassee join me Saturday September 7th, 2-3pm at Publix 3521 Thomasville Rd. for a Sampling Event! The Apron Cooking School Chefs will have created my recipe for sampling & I will have recipe cards to pass out!
If you are interested in learning how to make this recipe & others with EnvyTM Apples consider joining me for an evening with Envy™ Apple Saturday, September 28, at 6:30 PM at Aprons Cooking School. You can view the class & register here. You’ll get to try an appetizer, salad, main course, and dessert.
what is an EnvyTM Apple? – They are between Braeburn and Royal Gala. They are non-GMO and are grown naturally in Washington State and New Zealand. I first tried them during our recent trip to Washington State & LOVED them – thus they were a natural choice when the opportunity was presented to me to create a recipe with them for Publix.
Prep time – 10 minutes Cook time 30 minutes
- 8-10 oz wheel of Brie
- 2 EnvyTM Apples cored and thinly sliced
- 1 package of frozen puff pastry sheets
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoon on local honey
- half stick of butter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 table spoon of water
Some may ask why EnvyTM Apples? I like cooking with them for two reasons :
1. They have extraordinary crunch and texture and I find them refreshingly sweet.
2. They have a naturally higher citric acid content which prevents the ‘browning’ enzyme from activating. This means they are VERY slow to brown. I use them often for charcuterie boards and party platters.
- Allow puff pastry to thaw
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Line baking sheet with non stick parchment paper or foil
- Roll out pastry until is is approx. 10×10 inches
- (does not need to be exact, just want to make sure it is above to cover the brie when wrapped, and is evenly rolled out)
6. Set brie in middle of puff pastry 7. Fan apples around top of brie
8. Sprinkle cranberries and walnuts on top – let them fall over side
9. Generously drizzle honey over the top
10. Melt butter and mix in cinnamon and brown sugar
11.Drizzle the better/cinnamon and brown sugar on top & around the puff pastry base
12. Add any extra apple slices around the base of the brie
Wrap the puff pastry around the brie wheel containing all toppings – folding the corners over the cheese.
If thick in some areas it is OK to trim off with a knife.
Beat the egg and water to make an egg wash, and gently paint the outside of the puff pastry evenly
Refrigerate for 10-15 min
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until outside is golden brown
Remove from oven and allow to sit 5-10 minutes to cool before serving
Garnish, Serve & enjoy with friends!
Note: In our opinion this is best served with regular or cinnamon pita chips or crackers.
*Note I was compensated to create a recipe with EnvyTM Apples & participate in the EnvyTM Apples + Publix Events. However, after trying them during our Washington trip the decision to do so was a no brainier! The recipe & opinions are my own & not a reflection of any company or vendor.